Hello!

4 Comments

Product Safety Australia have issued a national recall on popular baby beanbags, Bubba Beanbags, due to choking and suffocation hazards.

One mum shares her story on Healthy Mummy after her young daughter required emergency surgery from inhaling a beanbag bead at nine months.

She writes, “Nine months after welcoming her, my cheeky little crawler got hold of one of the bean bag beads.

A few days earlier I had added more beans to the bag and some must have escaped under a chair and missed the vacuum cleaner.

She ended up inhaling the bead and it quickly started to impact her lungs. Within hours her lips started to turn blue, she became listless and she was making a strange wheezing sound.”

Her baby girl was air lifted to a larger hospital to undergo emergency surgery to remove the bead from her lung.

Very scary!

Recall details via Product Safety Australia

What are the defects?

The product does not meet the Consumer Goods (Bean Bags) Safety Standard 2014 as per amendment on 1 July 2016.

What are the hazards?

The internal bag is not fitted with a child-resistant slide fastener and may therefore allow access to the polystyrene beans, which pose potential choking and suffocation hazards to young children. The warning label also contains incorrect information and may result in misuse.

What should consumers do?

Consumers should contact the retailer by emailing info@babybeanbagshop.com.au (link sends e-mail) to make arrangements to return the bean bag. The supplier will remove the toggle/puller on the internal zip and attach a current warning label on the bean bag before returning it.

beanbag recall

 

Share your comments below.

Image via PSA

 

  • It sounds as though the beanbag isn’t made to Govt. safety regulations Surely she didn’t do it where a child could find and pick some up. She could have washed and throughly dried her laundry trough, done it in that and thoroughly cleaned her trough afterwards

    Reply

  • I don’t get why the beanbags have been recalled. It seems some spilled out during a top up, how is that the products fault


    • That’s exactly what I thought! Her account of the ordeal doesn’t actually say that the bean bag failed to keep the beans contained.

    Reply

  • The beans for bags are such a hazard – thanks for the safety recall.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join