- Serves 12
- Makes 12
- 25 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 13 Ingredients
Apple Muffins are the perfect addition to your baking staples list!
Especially when you want a fast treat for friends dropping by. Apple Muffins are also perfect if you are looking for a school lunchbox treat that’s quick, easy and has no nuts.
We originally came up with these Apple Muffins when a whole bag of fresh Pink Lady Apples fell off the kitchen bench when we were unpacking the groceries. They rolled out of the bag and all over the floor. Now it wasn’t that we couldn’t wash them to get them clean that we wanted to use them up right away. It was because they were all badly bruised and we knew they wouldn’t last long.
So the first thing we whipped up was a double batch of these Apple Muffins and then an Apple Crumble.
Which apples are best for Apple Muffins?
The great news about this Apple Muffins recipe is that any apple will do. You can use fresh apples finely grated, stewed apples left over from an apple crumble or you could even use apple puree you’ve made for your bub! And you can use pretty much any type of apple you like. These apple muffins are very forgiving – they won’t care whether the apples you use are fresh off the tree or they’ve been rolling around the fridge for weeks. Grate them up and toss them in – this recipe is a brilliant way to use up old fruit.
Feel free to ad lib with your Apple Muffins!
When you check the recipe you’ll see we’ve added toasted coconut. Feel free to have some fun with whatever you have in the kitchen. Halve the apples and add blueberries or raspberries. Switch out the coconut for some roughly chopped almonds or walnuts. And if you like spices, feel free to throw in some cinnamon, nutmeg or Mixed Spice.
Is this the best Apple Muffins Recipe you’ve tried?
Once you’ve tried this recipe, we’d love to hear your thoughts. Did it live up to your expectations? How did it compare to other recipes you’ve tried?
If you really enjoyed this recipe, hit the L❤VE button just under the recipe image. The more L❤VES, the more others will know it’s a recipe worth trying.
Ingredients (serves 12 | makes 12 Apple Muffins)
- 1 cup Bran Cereal
- 1 cup Rolled Oats (whole or quick oats)
- 1 cup Grated Apples (skin left on)
- 1.25 cups Milk
- 75g Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1.25 cups Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Toasted Shaved Coconut
- 1 large Egg
- Extra Coconut for Muffin Tops
- Place the first 7 ingredients (bran cereal, rolled oats, apple, milk, butter, vanilla and sugar) into a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir through ensuring the butter is melted and set aside to cool.
- While the cereal/milk mixture is cooling sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Then stir though the coconut.
- Whisk the egg with a fork and fold through the cooled cereal/milk mixture. Then gently fold through the flour mixture. Fold until combined.
- Oil or butter a 12 cup muffin tray then dust with flour. Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 cups. Top with a little coconut.
- Cook in the centre of the oven for 10 minutes. Rotate then cook for a further 3 - 5 minutes depending on your oven. You want the muffins only just cooked so they stay lovely and moist.