- Makes 8
- 90 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 18 Ingredients
A delicious healthy alternative to the deep-fried variety of Arancini.
Ingredients (makes 8 )
- 1L salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1tbs olive oil
- 40g butter
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 330g SunRice Arborio Risotto rice
- 125ml dry white wine
- 40g shredded parmesan
- 1tbs olive oil
- 100g pork and veal mince
- 1/4 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 125ml passata
- 2tbs water
- 1tbs tomato paste
- 115g dried (packaged) breadcrumbs
- 75g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- First make the risotto: Bring the stock and saffron just to the boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat and hold at a gentle simmer.
- Heat oil and half the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the rice and stir for 2-3 minutes or until the grains appear slightly glassy. Toasting the grains ensures the rice cooks evenly.
- Add the wine and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Add 1 ladleful (125ml/1/2 cup) of stock and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue, 1 ladleful at a time, for 20 minutes until rice is tender yet firm. Remove from heat. Stir in parmesan and remaining butter. Season.
- Spread the risotto onto a lined tray with sides. Cool slightly. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight to chill completely.
- To make bolognaise sauce, heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pork and veal mince. Stir for 3 minutes or until browned. Add brown onion and garlic clove. Stir for 5 minutes or until soft. Add passata, water and tomato paste. Stir for 2 minutes or until thick. Cool.
- To make the arancini: Place the breadcrumbs on a tray. Place the flour on a plate. Crack the eggs into a bowl and use a fork to lightly whisk.
- Use wet hands to shape 1/3 cup of the risotto into a ball. Press your thumb into the centre of the ball to make an indent.
- Place 1 1/2 teaspoons bolognaise sauce in the indent, then mould risotto around the sauce to enclose. Repeat to make 12 balls.
- Place the risotto ball on a chopping board and roll ball with both hands, moulding it into a conical shape. Repeat with the remaining balls.
- Brush balls lightly with olive oil. Bake in pre-heated oven at 200 degrees celsius till golden. Cook in Airfyer at 180 degrees till golden.
For the best arancini, and to save time, prepare the risotto a day or two in advance