- Serves 4
- 90 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 11 Ingredients
A basic quiche with bacon and onion and hand made pastry.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 cups Plain Flour
- 125 grams Butter, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Onion
- 4 Rashers Bacon
- 1/2 cup Cream
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 - 1 cup Grated Cheese (I just use tasty or cheddar)
- Pinch Mixed Herbs
- PASTRY: In a bowl rub the butter into the flour and salt until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and then using a spatula or knife mix through until a dough starts to form. At this stage use your fingers to gently form the dough into a ball. Knead lightly and then wrap in cling wrap and leave in the fridge to rest for about 20 minutes (while you work on the filling).
- FILLING: Cut the bacon into small pieces and chop your onion. Fry together until they are just cooked. Put aside.
- Whisk the eggs. I also add the egg white left over from making the pastry. Whisk in the cream and sour cream. Stir through the herbs (I usually use parsley and a little basil).
- ASSEMBLY: Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Take out the pastry and roll out to fill the quiche dish (fairly thin).
- Lay the pastry over the dish and then press in making sure there are no holes. Spread the bacon and onion mix over the pastry, then the cheese. Finally pour over the egg and cream mixture.
- BAKE: Bake for between 35-40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. If the top looks to be browning too much cover with foil. Leave to cool for around five minutes and then enjoy.