A tasty pastie for meat lover, lovely with tomato sauce.
Ingredients (makes 10 Pasties)
- 900 grams Good blade, topside, round or rump meat
- 4 Medium onions
- 3 Medium potatoes
- 7 tablespoons Dripping
- 3 cups Plain flour
- 2 cups Self raising flour
- 11/2 cups Cold water
- 1/2 Lemon juice (to whiten)
- Preheat oven & set to 205 to 230 degrees celcius.
- Trim meat of all fat & sinew, cut into small cubes (approx 1/2 cm). Dice potatoes & onions to the same size as the meat. Be generous with salt & pepper & mix well. Prepare this well ahead of pastry.
- Mix pastry ingredients (flours & dripping) well with fingers until all fat is rubbed in evenly.
- Mix water with lemon juice & add to pastry ingredients, mix well with a knife & roll fairly thinly. Shape to size required (use a saucer). Seal & brush with egg.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to moderate & bake for a further 15 minutes.
This is a recipe which came from the Enterprise Hotel in Charters Towers, Qld which was owned by our family many years ago.