- Serves 16
- 17 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 5 Ingredients
Easy fresh Devonshire Tea in a jiffy. mmm yummm one of my favourite things.
Pip Pip Please Enjoy.
Ingredients (serves 16)
- 3 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 60g butter, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- strawberry jam and double cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Grease and flour a scone tray.
- Place flour, sugar and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Add butter. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre. Add buttermilk. Using a flat-bladed knife, stir until dough almost comes together. Place on a lightly floured surface.
- Knead gently until dough comes together. Press out to a 3cm-thick round. Dip a 5cm round cutter into flour to prevent dough sticking. Cut out scones. Gently press leftover dough pieces together and repeat to make a total 16 scones. Alternately you can use the blade of the knife to cut 16 squares from the mix. What ever is easiest for you.
- Place scones, touching, on prepared tray. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until light golden.
- Serve with lashings of strawberry jam and double cream.
Note: You can go all out and include ginger, date, sultana, choc chips and pumpkin to name but a few to this basic mix if you wish ...but for me it's plain and simple. Cheers xx