This cashew cheese shepherd’s pie is a great dinner for the whole family.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500 grams organic chicken mince or regular meat mince
- 1 cup peas
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- 1 capsicum
- 1 carrot
- 1 whole cauliflower
- 2 sweet potatoes or 1/2 pumpkin
- 1 cup cashews (pre-soaked in water for two hours)
- To taste salt and pepper
- In a glass baking dish - line sides with butter to prevent sticking.
- In a fry pan, lightly fry chopped onion, tomato and mince with salt and pepper until meat is cooked (approx 10 mins.)
- Add in diced capsicum, carrot and peas and cook for another 5 mins.
- In a blender/food processor, add 1 cup cashews to 1/4 cup water and blitz until cashew mixture is creamy - if needed add more water.
- In a separate pot, boil chopped cauliflower and sweet potato in some water.
- When the cauliflower and sweet potato has cooked through, strain, add 1 tablespoon of butter and mash.
- In your glass baking dish add in the meat mince mixture and flatten as a bottom layer.
- Add the mashed sweet potato and cauliflower as the next layer.
- Top with cashew cheese as the final layer.
- Place in oven to cook on medium for 10 mins or until cashew cheese is slightly brown.