Ingredients (serves 12)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons bi-carb soda
- large tin beetroot (drained)
- In a food processor, beat eggs well and gradually add oil. Slowly beat in sugar and vanilla essence. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Sift cocoa, plain flour, salt and bi-carb soda together, then gently fold into egg mixture.
- Blend or whizz well-drained beetroot, then fold through egg and flour mixture, ensuring it is really well combined.
- Grease and line two 9" round cake tins. Divide cake mixture between two tins equally, smoothing top of cakes. Bake for 1 - 1 1/2 hours at 150 degrees C. Test with a skewer to ensure cakes are cooked in the middle.
- Cool cakes in tins for 15 minutes, before turning onto wire racks to cool completely before icing.
- ICING: Either ½ cup peanut butter/1 cup butter/3 cups icing sugar OR 125 gm cream cheese/100gm melted chocolate/3 cups icing sugar OR icing of your choice. Sandwich cakes together with icing and also ice the top of cakes.