- Serves 12
- 2 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
The perfect ‘meal in a bowl’ soup … A large bowl is so filling you can serve it alone! My children love this for dinner and I often take it to work for lunch. I make it without chilli (for the kids) and then add a little extra spice for myself.
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 200g Dried Red Lentils
- 1x 400g tin Diced or Whole Tomatoes
- 1 Yellow or Red Capsicum (finely diced)
- 2 Carrots (finely diced)
- 2 Chorizo Sausages (finely diced)
- 1 Medium Spanish Onion (finely diced)
- 1 Medium Brown Onion (finely diced)
- 800mL Vegetable or Chicken Stock
- 1 Medium Eggplant
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan Spice Mix
- 3 stalks Celery (finely diced)
- Prepare the Eggplant ... Remove the top of the eggplant and slice into four thick slices lengthwise. Place slices onto a sheet of baking paper on an oven tray and lightly brush/sprinkle or spray with olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Place under the grill and cook until golden brown. Turn over and grill the other side until golden brown. Once the eggplant is cool enough to touch, remove the skin and then roughly chop.
- Prepare the Soup Ingredients ... Finely dice the Chorizo sausages and both onions and then place into a large soup pot with 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a medium heat. Gently fry off until chorizo starts to brown and the onion becomes translucent. While these ingredients are browning, finely dice all other fresh ingredients and then add in to brown. Stir frequently to ensure nothing sticks.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, the stock and the morrocan spice mix then stir well.
- Add the dried red lentils and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for approximately 1.5 hours - checking frequently that there is sufficient liquid so that soup does not stick to the bottom of the pot. You may need to add more water during cooking.
- You can choose to cook until the lentils are soft but still hold their shape or you may want to continue cooking until the lentils are so soft that they have integrated with the liquid.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of smoked paprika and some fresh herbs. If you like a little spice in your life, add a sprinkle of chilli flakes.
This is a soup you can really have fun with - use any veges you have in the fridge, switch out the chorizo for beef mince, sausages or chicken pieces. The eggplant is also completely optional. I love it because it's a very economical soup that lasts for up to a week in the fridge is really goes a long, long way!