- Serves 8
- 50 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 11 Ingredients
An easy to make and great tasting soup for dinner.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 50g butter
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 kilo Finely sliced onions
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 4 Crushed garlic cloves
- 250ml dry white wine or small glass sherry
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 1/2 bunch finely chopped sage leaves
- 1.3 litres Strong good quality beef stock
- 8 slices bread
- 140g grated cheese - gruyere is best.
- Melt butter in oil and add onions. Cook gently with lid on for 20 minutes until soft. Stirring frequently so they don't burn.
- Add sugar garlic and flour. Then stir in the hot stock and wine slowly to make sure flour is well mixed and not lumpy.
- Simmer for 15 - 20 minutes to infuse flavours and add sage. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Whilst simmering, toast the bread then put the grated cheese on top of the toast and melt under grill so it sticks to the toast.
- Serve in a bowl with the cheesy bread on top.
You can also cut up the cheesy toast into cubes for crutons which is nice too.