- Serves 15
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 12 Ingredients
A light fluffy sponge with a delightful classic icing/coating. You may prefer your lamingtons plain or with cream, jam, or both cream and jam the choice is yours but this classic creation will bring out the true Aussie.
Ingredients (serves 15)
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- FOR THE :Icing
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 20cm x 30cm (base) lamington pan. Line with baking paper, leaving a 2cm overhang on all sides. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift half the flour over butter mixture. Stir to combine. Add half the milk. Stir to combine. Repeat with remaining flour and milk. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth top. Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack. Cover with a clean tea towel. Set aside overnight.
- Make icing: Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Add butter and boiling water. Stir until smooth.
- Cut cake into 15 pieces. Place coconut in a dish. Using a fork, dip 1 piece of cake in icing. Shake off excess. Toss in coconut. Place on a wire rack over a baking tray. Repeat with remaining cake, icing and coconut. Stand for 2 hours or until set. Serve.
- How to make Chantilly cream.
- Chill your mixing bowl in the refrigerator to reduce the chance of the cream separating.
- Combine 300ml thickened cream, 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste and 1 tbs caster sugar in the bowl.
- Use an electric mixer or balloon whisk to whisk the cream until it forms soft peaks.
- To tell if it's ready, stop the mixer and lift the beaters straight up. The cream should droop slightly from the end of the beater or whisk. If it doesn't, continue beating until it does.
- How to make Easy and quick Strawberry Jam.
- 2 cups strawberries 1/2 cup sugar squeeze lemon
- Prepare your strawberries by hulling and chopping. Put the berries and sugar into a microwave bowl and squeeze lemon over the top. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Stir and then microwave again on high for another five minutes. Cool and spread in the middle of the sponge along with the cream.
Note: Quick tip: I have been pushed for time on occasions and cooling overnight was just not an option ....solution..I cut the cooled cake into squares and placed them into the freezer for a couple of hours. The icing stuck well and the result was super. A lovely classic lamington that sells well at fetes, is demolished at parties or simply enjoyed any time. Cheers and please EnJoY!