- Makes 12
- 20 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 8 Ingredients
Rice bubble slice is one of the best snack foods, lunchbox munchables, or cheeky dessert foods around. This recipe for rice bubble slice is simple and fun to make, and looks great topped with extra crushed clinkers!
This recipe for a chewy chocolate rice bubble slice is also great to make with the kids, although it can get a bit messy… There are a number of sticky ingredients in this recipe, like butter, golden syrup, shortening and, of course, the chocolate! But it’s good to let kids try and make foods with potentially messy ingredients, because then they also get to learn about having to clean up after preparing food. You never know, they may have a eureka moment and realise how much work actually goes in to making breakfast, lunch and dinner!
If you wanted to try this recipe vegan, it would be super easy to substitute a few ingredients to vegan-ify this rice bubble slice. All you’d need to do is use a non-dairy butter or margarine (my favourite is Nuttelex), change the dairy milk for another kind (my favourite is soy), and use dark chocolate that is 72% cocoa or more! You’d also need to find a different kind of biscuit without milk powder or eggs in them, but there are plenty out there if you know where to look! Arnott’s Nice biscuits are vegan, or Woolworths Free From: Scotch Finger Biscuits would work great as well!
One of my favourite things about this delicious recipe for rice bubble slice is that you can tailor it to your own preference! If you prefer your rice bubble slice more fruity, then you could add some desiccated coconut or dried fruit – cranberries and sultanas would be so yummy in one of these! Or, if you’re more of a die-hard chocolate fan, you can be rid of the fruit altogether and go crazy with the choc.
Ingredients (makes 12 squares - 24 fingers)
- 50g unsalted butter
- quarter cup golden syrup
- 2 blocks milk chocolate broken up
- 250g packet malt-o-milk biscuits broken up
- 1 packet clinkers broken
- 2 cups rice bubbles
- a few glazed cherries chopped
- 25g vegetable shortening
- Lightly grease a 20 x 30cm baking tray with butter and line with baking paper. Combine the butter, golden syrup, vegetable shortening and milk chocolate in a pan on medium and stir over low heat until the butter has melted and set aside.
- Combine biscuits, rice bubbles, cherries and clinkers in a mixing bowl and add in the melted mixture.
- Pour into the base of the baking tray and chill until firm. Cut into squares or fingers and keep in fridge.
Do you have other ingredients you pop into your rice bubble slice? Tell us in the comments!