- Serves 12
- 25 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 9 Ingredients
Tis time to indulge with these fluffy but moist scones with cream and jam just like in the old days.
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 2 cups Plain flour
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan fine rocksalt
- 2 tsp Castor sugar
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 x 70g Egg
- 2/3 cup milk (soy, coconut or oat)
- 1/3 cup cream
- Whipped cream and jam to serve with scones
- Preheat oven to 220C degrees. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, sugar in a bowl. In a separate large bowl, mix together egg, oil, milk and cream and combine them well.
- Sift flour mixture over the wet ingredients. Use a fork to gently combine them, do not over mix.
- Sprinkle flour to the kitchen bench, take dough out of the bowl and kneed briefly just to shape it to form about 2.5cm height, the mixture will be quite sticky, but don't panic, make sure your hands are well floured when handling the dough.
- Use a 6cm diameter scone cutter, flour the cutter and cut the dough using top-down cutting motion (do not twist), place scones close to each other to well-floured baking sheet, so the scone will not expand sideways. Bake in the center top position in the oven for 15~18 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream, and homemade jam.
Fancy an old fashioned afternoon tea? Here's my mum's recipe that has been used for many decades. The secret is not to play with the ingredients too much, let all the elements do their job to deliver that fluffy and moist scones everyone loves. We love to partner it with our homemade fig & chia seeds jam pictured here, and thick whipped cream - heavenly !!