Best potato bake you will ever make and worth the little extra effort. Works perfectly as a main for the family or as a side at a big Christmas dinner party.
Ingredients (serves 5)
- 2-4 potatoes (cream delight)
- 2-4 Sweet potatoes
- 1 cream cheese
- 60-80g smoked processed cheese
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 3 tsp Wholegrain mustard (must be wholegrain)
- 1 continental stock pot chicken flavour
- corn starch
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Wash/Peel potatoes & cut them into thin discs. Layer them in a baking dish alternating between sweet and normal potato. (A silicone baking dish works best for me)
- Finely dice bacon & onion. Fry with butter and garlic in a med-large saucepan. Make up the continental stock pot to 1 cup. (You can also use liquid stock or make your own, but you will have to reduce them to 1 cup)
- Add chicken stock and wholegrain mustard to the same saucepan, combine well. Melt in cream cheese using a medium heat. (Reduce heat if boiling, just boiling is ok but be careful cheese sauce is HOT)
- Cut smoked cheese into 1cm cubes and dust in cornstarch. Melt into cheese sauce a few at a time. (The cornstarch is very important it stops the fat from separating as it melts)
- Pour cheese sauce over potato. I usually wiggle the dish and bang it on the bench to ensure even distribution. (Reminder* I use silcone so there is no danger of dish breaking)
- Bake at approx 200°C for approx 30 minutes or until top is crunchy.