A chocolatey twist to an Easter favourite!
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 350ml warm water
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 550g (4 cups) plain flour
- 50g NESTLE BAKERS' CHOICE Cocoa
- 1 Tbsp Mixed Spice
- 21/4 tsp Dry yeast
- 1/2 cup NESTLE BAKERS' CHOICE Dark Choc Chips
- FLOUR PASTE FOR CROSSES...
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp powdered gelatine
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp boiling water
- Add all ingredients (except the choc chips) to the bowl of a food processor. Process until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Remove from the food processor and place on a lightly floured bench. Knead in the choc chips so they are distributed evenly throughout the dough. Put the dough back in the food processor and put the lid back on. Leave for approximately 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Once doubled in size, turn dough out onto a lightly floured bench and knead until it returns to its original size. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions (approx 100g each) and place close together, but not quite touching, on a greased tray. Cover lightly with a clean tea towel and place somewhere warm until doubled in size (approx 45mins).
- Preheat oven to 180C. To make the flour paste, combine the flour and water in a bowl until smooth. Pour into a piping bag or snap-lock bag and snip off a corner. Pipe crosses on the buns. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by combining the gelatine, sugar and boiling water in a bowl. Stir until the gelatine has dissolved. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the glaze mixture over the buns while still hot. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve with butter.