- Serves 4
- 2.5 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 15 Ingredients
An easy and comforting beef Massaman curry, a much better option than take-away!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 60g unsalted peanuts
- 2 Tbsp Pic's peanut butter crunchy
- 4 Tbsp Massaman curry paste
- 40ml Pic's peanut oil (or an unrefined cold pressed peanut oil)
- 600g Stewing beef (Chuck steak works well)
- 400g waxy potatoes, cut into 2cm dice
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 brown onion
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Tbsp Palm sugar
- 1 Tbsp Tamarind paste
- 1 Tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 red chillies, deseeded & chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, roots left on, chopped
- Heat oven to 180°C, then roast the peanuts on a baking tray for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Cool then roughly chop. Reduce oven to 160C.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large oven proof pan with a lid. Add the beef and brown well on all sides, add the curry paste and fry slowly for an extra 4 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter, the coconut cream, half a can of water, diced potatoes, onion, lime leaves, cinnamon, tamarind, palm sugar, fish sauce and half of the peanuts.
- Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook slowly for about 2 hours in the oven until the beef is very tender.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with chopped chilli, coriander and the remaining peanuts.
- Serve with jasmine rice.