This is a easy way of getting vegetables and wholemeal flour into my children. They are perfect lunch box fillers and are convenient to eat on the go.
The fillings can be changed to whatever is leftover in the pantry or fridge.
Ingredients (makes 12 Stuffed Buns)
- 3 Cups Wholemeal Bread Flour
- 1 Cup Water, lukewarm
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon Raw Sugar
- 1 Cup Mixed vegetables, chopped finely (Potato, carrots, beans, peas are all good)
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Salt and Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Mixed Herbs
- 1 Tablespoon Water & soy milk, each, mixed in a bowl (optional)
- Add the raw sugar to the lukewarm water in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the yeast and leave for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Mix the flour, salt and oil into the yeast mixture. Knead until smooth, cover and set aside.
- Mix the chopped vegetables with the tomato paste, herbs,salt and pepper.
- Make medium sized balls from the dough, flatten them slightly and scoop a spoonful of vegetable filling. Bring the edges together carefully and pinch together. Set the stuffed buns on a prepared baking tray. Let the stuffed buns rise for an hour or so.
- Brush the tops with water and soy milk mixture if desired. Bake at 200 degrees C for 25 - 35 minutes (depending on the oven). Enjoy warm or cold.