- Serves 6
- Makes 12
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 9 Ingredients
A taste snack when kids come home from school.
Ingredients (serves 6 | makes 12 )
- 2 cups Plain Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Demerara Sugar
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Sultanas or currants
- 3/4 cup Jalna Yoghourt
- Small amount Jalna Yoghourt for glaze
- Extra sugar For glaze
- Preheat oven to 200c. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Cream the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. (This can be done using the pulse action in a food processor or in a mixer.)
- Turn the mixture into a bowl and stir in the sultanas/currants
- Mix with a knife into a soft, non-sticky dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead gently for 30 seconds.
- Roll the dough to a thickness of 1/2 inch and cut it into 10 to 12 rounds with a pastry or biscuit cutter dipped in flour.
- Place the scones on the baking sheet and brush with yogurt. Scatter the tops with sugar and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the scones begin to brown on the top.
- Eat warm, straight from the oven, or cool. You can freeze yogurt scones for up to three months. Serve with cream and jam.