- Serves 4
- 15 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 8 Ingredients
There is nothing like the smell of fresh basil and it is so easy to grow in any garden or balcony pot! This fresh pesto is perfect as a dip or through pasta. You could even take this recipe to school and use herbs from your school garden. Stir through our Orecchiette pasta recipe for a delicious meal or after school snack.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 bunch Basil
- 1 handful Baby spinach leaves
- 400 g tin Chickpeas (reserve the liquid)
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/2 lemon Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup Rice bran oil
- 100g Fresh parmesan cheese (from a block, not pre-grated pack)
- Pinch Salt & pepper to taste
Notes... Stir through fresh cooked pasta, add chicken and top with fresh grated parmesan. Lots of kids love pesto through scrambled eggs to make green eggs and ham! Serve on crackers with cheese and tomato, or as a dip. If you have no nut allergies in your family, you can put toasted pinenuts or cashews instead of the chickpeas.
- Place the basil leaves and spinach in a blender/food processor, add peeled garlic, chickpeas, lemon juice and oil.
- Blend until your desired consistency - some people like it really smooth, others love it chunky.
- If too thick, use some of the reserved chickpea juice to thin to your preferred consistency.
- Mix in parmesan cheese and add salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe Nut free pesto
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.