There is nothing like the smell of fresh basil and it is so easy to grow in any garden or balcony pot! This fresh pesto is perfect as a dip or through pasta. You could even take this recipe to school and use herbs from your school garden. Stir through our Orecchiette pasta recipe for a delicious meal or after school snack.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 bunch Basil
- 1 handful Baby spinach leaves
- 400 g tin Chickpeas (reserve the liquid)
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/2 lemon Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup Rice bran oil
- 100g Fresh parmesan cheese (from a block, not pre-grated pack)
- Pinch Salt & pepper to taste
- Place the basil leaves and spinach in a blender/food processor, add peeled garlic, chickpeas, lemon juice and oil.
- Blend until your desired consistency - some people like it really smooth, others love it chunky.
- If too thick, use some of the reserved chickpea juice to thin to your preferred consistency.
- Mix in parmesan cheese and add salt and pepper to taste.