This divine roulade is perfect for that special occasion!
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 3 large eggs
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g plain flour
- 1 Tbsp hot water
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g fresh strawberries
- strawberry jam
- 15g flaked almonds, toasted
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Line a 35 x 25-cm Swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- Place the eggs in a large, heatproof bowl with the caster sugar, place over a saucepan of hot water and, using an electric beater, beat until pale and thick.
- Remove the bowl from the saucepan. Sift in the flour and fold into the eggs with the hot water. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden and set.
- Transfer the sponge to a sheet of baking paper. Peel off the lining paper and roll up the sponge tightly along with the baking paper. Wrap in a tea towel and cool until completely cooled.
- Chantilly Cream: Beat the thickened cream, caster sugar and vanilla extract till the mix holds stiff peaks. Leave the mixture to chill in the refrigerator until required. Wash, hull and slice the strawberries.
- Unroll the sponge, spread the strawberry jam over the sponge, spread the Chantilly Cream over the jam and sprinkle with the sliced strawberries. Roll the sponge up again and transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle with toasted almonds, dust with icing sugar and serve.
- STRAWBERRY JAM Pop used to grow strawberries and this tradition has followed on. There is nothing nicer than the smell and fresh sweet sweet taste of home grown strawberries. 3kg strawberries, hulled and chopped 3kg sugar juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Cover the strawberries with half of the sugar and let the mixture stand overnight in a large bowl. Next day, put all ingredients into a large saucepan and boil for 30 minutes or until mixture starts to thicken. Once set, remove and bottle into hot, sterilised jars and seal immediately. Makes approximately 20x250ml jars.