- Makes 12
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 8 Ingredients
Best eaten fresh
Ingredients (makes 12 cakes)
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/3 Cup White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Plain Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Rind - finely grated
- 65 grams Butter
- 1/3 Cup Icing Sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Butter and flour a tray (12) Madeleine moulds and set aside.
- Melt butter and let cool to room temperature
- In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs, vanilla and salt at high speed until light. Beating constantly, gradually add sugar; and continue beating at high speed until mixture is thick and pale
- Sift flour into egg mixture 1/3 at a time, gently folding after each addition.
- Add lemon rind and pour melted butter around edge of batter. Quickly but gently fold butter into batter. Spoon batter into moulds; it will mound slightly above tops.
- Bake for approx 15 minutes, or until cakes are golden and the tops spring back when gently pressed
- Use the tip of the knife to loosen the madeleines from pan; invert onto rack. Let them cool then sprinkle them with icing sugar
A little bit fiddly, but well worth the effort. I found this recipe a few months ago after inheriting some moulds. If you don't have madeleine moulds, you can use metal jelly moulds - found in most op shops!