- Serves 8
- Makes 14
- 50 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 7 Ingredients
This is a great recipe for the kids to pretty much make on their own (from primary school age up). It’s also a brilliant meal to serve when you have a bunch of people coming over – everyone can help themselves and no washing up! I used to make this with just smoked paprika but the McCormick Flavour Shot (CHILLI CON CARNE) has made it even more of a hit in our house. The kids even took the leftovers for lunch to school today.
Ingredients (serves 8 | makes 14 Slices)
- 1 kg Pork & Veal Mince (or you could use beef or chicken)
- 1 400g tin Red Kidney Beans or Black Frijole Beans
- 1 medium Brown onion, finely diced
- 1 medium Zucchini, grated or finely chopped
- 1 medium Carrot, grated or finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 McCormick Flavour Shot - CHILLI CON CARNE
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius and have a middle tray in the oven ready to go.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, add a pinch of salt and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper and then mix really well. You can either mix this with a fork or spoon or get your hands dirty for a minute or two!
- Lightly spray a rectangular oven proof baking dish or a loaf shaped tin with olive oil.
- Heap the well mixed mince mixture into the baking dish and distribute evenly. If the mix is slightly larger than the dish, form it into a loaf shape at the top.
- Drizzle a tiny bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the top of the meatloaf and then place into the oven.
- Cook for 35 - 40 minutes rotating the dish at 20 minutes. Check to see if juices from the centre of the meatloaf run clear. If they don't, cook for another 10 - 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cover with foil and allow to rest for 10 - 15 minutes (it will reabsorb some of the juices).
- Remove from the dish, slice and arrange on a platter and serve with the standard Mexican accompaniments (like sour cream, jalapenos, avocade or guacamole, cheese etc).
- Serving is easy - pop a slice of Meatloaf Con Carne into a tortilla, add your favourite accompaniments and enjoy!
We love to serve a Mexican Slaw whenever we have something like this. Slice 1/4 standard cabbage as finely as possible, add 1/2 cup cooked corn kernels (fresh, frozen or tinned), finely slice capsicum, finely slice tomato (seeds removed) and some finely sliced fresh pineapple and combine in a mixing bowl with the juice of 1 lemon and 2 tabs of mayo or sour cream. Remember to add the dressing just before you serve to ensure it retains it's crunch!