- Serves 6
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 19 Ingredients
This Mexican Shepherd’s Pie in a Pan is a massive favourite with my children – it brings together their two all time favourite meals. Shepherd’s Pie and Mexican! The taco shells (or corn chips if you prefer) add a lovely crunch and the fresh green salad lightens the meal perfectly. You could double or triple the recipe and cook in a large baking dish if you’re feeding a crowd. Make it ahead of time and just complete the last step (heat through, melt the cheese and garnish) just before serving.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 500g Mince (Beef, Pork or Chicken)
- 1 med Brown Onion, finely diced
- 1 sachet Taco or Burrito Flavouring
- 400g Tinned Diced Tomatoes
- 6 large Potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 Carrots, finely grated
- 1 cup Corn Kernels (fresh, frozen or tinned)
- 1 tbs Jalapenos
- 1 tub Sour Cream
- 1 tbs Butter
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 packet Taco shells (or 1 bag corn chips)
- 1 large Cos Lettuce (or any green salad leaves really)
- 1/3 cup Red Cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Lime
- 1/2 punnet Cherry Tomatoes (or 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato)
- 1/4 cup Warm Water
- 1 cup Grated Tasty Cheese
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Heat 1 tbs OLIVE OIL in a frypan then add the ONION. Fry off gently until onion softens. Then add the MINCE and fry until browned thoroughly. Sprinkle the TACO or BURRITO FLAVOURING over the mince, add the TIN OF TOMATOES and 1/4 cup WARM WATER and stir until well combined. Lower the temp and allow to simmer and thicken slightly.
- While the mince is simmering, peel and quarter the POTATOES, cover with salted water in a medium saucepan and boil until very soft. Once the potatoes are done, drain all the water off and leave the potatoes in the saucepan. Add 1/2 tub of SOUR CREAM, BUTTER, 1/3 of the GRATED CHEESE and 1/4 CUP MILK and mash until very smooth. Add the other 1/4 cup MILK if the mash mixture is a little dry - you want a lovely soft mash for this dish.
- Combine the grated CARROTS (reserve about 1 tbs to use as garnish) and the corn kernels and then spread evenly on top of the mince mixture (leave the mince mixture in the pan in which it was cooked).
- Dollop the mashed POTATO over the top of the carrot and corn (you are aiming to cover the meat/carrot/corn completely with dollops. Sprinkle the remaining CHEESE over the top and place into the oven until the meat mixture starts to bubble and the cheese melts to a golden brown.
- While the Mexican Shepherd's Pie is in the oven, make a quick salad by combining the COS LETTUCE, the RED CABBAGE and drizzling with 1 tbs olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Feel free to add any other salad veges to really bulk up the salad.
- For 5 - 8 minutes before you take the pie from the oven, heat the taco shells in the bottom of the oven.
- Remove the pie from the oven and add more sour cream if desired. Garnish with a sprinkle of carrot/corn/jalapenos and cherry tomatoes. Break up a few taco shells for impact and arrange these sitting up in the mash topping!
You may also like…
You May Like
Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.