- 2 hours
- Difficulty Easy
- 9 Ingredients
Image courtesy of Shutterstock.com
Make a fresh stock using a whole chicken and then shred the poached chicken meat to use in salads and sandwiches through the week.
This recipe courtesy of Dr Joanna McMillan.
- 1 Large Onion, skin on, roughly chopped
- 2 Celery stalks with leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 Large carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 Bay leaves and bunch parsley stalks, roughly chopped
- Bunch Spring onion ends, the dark part, roughly chopped
- 5 Thyme stalks
- Bulb Garlic, skin on
- 1 whole Free range chicken, trimmed of excess fat around the cavity
- 1 tbsp Salt
- In a large stock pot add all your ingredients, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook gently for at least 1 1/2 hours, skimming the liquid of froth and oil every so often. For a deeper flavour cook for 3 hours.
- Drain the stock through a sieve and refrigerate. Once cold the fat will solidify on the top, and then remove this.
- Remove the poached chicken from the bones, shred and store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to two days. Or of course you can add back to the stock to make a fabulous chicken soup.