- Makes 15
- 20 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 8 Ingredients
Not your typical caramels, these Salted Date Caramels are sweetened using fresh dates! Created by fitspo superstar – Sophie Guidolin Why not make these homemade Salted Date Caramels for Easter this year? Or for a party treat to bring to your next party?
Ingredients (makes 15 Caramels)
- 2 cups (310g) fresh dates, pitted
- 3/4 cup (150g) coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (25g) cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, extra, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/4 cup (50g) coconut flour
- Extra, for sprinkling sea salt flakes
- Place dates in a medium bowl. Cover with boiling water; stand for 10 minutes to soften. Drain dates; discard water.
- Meanwhile, melt oil in a small saucepan; combine oil and sifted cacao in a small bowl. Stand until thickened slightly.
- Process dates, vanilla, extra oil and salt until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a small bowl; cover and freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Place flour in a small bowl. Using damp hands, roll teaspoons of the date mixture into balls. Roll balls in coconut flour then freeze for 15 minutes minimum.
- Take the balls out of the freezer and using a spoon or skewer, dip date balls into cacao coating, then place on tray. The fact that the balls are cold from the freezer will help the cacao coating set quickly.
- Sprinkle with extra salt. Freeze for another 10 minutes or until set.
Don’t worry if the coating on the caramels has a whitish look – this is simply the coconut oil and won’t affect the taste. Place the caramels in small paper cases or wrap in coloured paper for a fun serving idea. Store in the freezer in an airtight container.Sophie will be just one of the high profile talent at The Fitness Show this year, held between the 12-14th of April 2019. The Fitness Show is set to be the unmissable event of the year for those wanting to be at the forefront of the trends in the health and fitness industry. Don’t miss out on securing your tickets now.