Is there anything better than pulled pork that has been roasting in the oven for six hours? Add a smoky BBQ flavour with the tang and sweetness of an apple and you have a winner of a dinner recipe!
Sam Canning from Cannings Free Range Butchers developed this recipe for the festive season and for all the pulled pork lovers out there. The secret to the recipe is his use of a mixture of BBQ sauce, apple and select herbs and spices while cooking the meat slowly for maximum flavour and tenderness. Find out more about Sam here.
Ingredients (serves 10)
- 2.5 kg Skinless, bone in, free range pork shoulder
- 1 x SpiceVince Coriander Zing Marinade
- 1 x Handful of brown sugar
- 3 x Apples, skin removed and grated
- 100-200 ml DL Jardines BBQ sauce
- 500 ml Chicken Stock
- 1 x Spices of your choosing (e.g. dried chilli)
- 1 x Knob of Butter
- To serve Coleslaw and Brioche buns
- Preheat the over to 160 degrees Celsius.
- On the stove top fry a whole tube of SpiceVine Coriander Zing marinade in a heavy cast iron pot with a knob of butter.
- Meanwhile rub the pork with brown sugar and any other spices you like such as dried chilli.
- Once the coriander marinade and butter have been cooking for five minutes add 500ml of free range chicken stock.
- Add the seasoned pork shoulder to the pot and place the lid on.
- Place in the oven for three hours.
- Add the grated apples to the pot and mash/stir into the stock.
- Place the pot back in the oven, lid on, and reduce the temperature to 120 degrees.
- Cook for another three hours then remove from the oven.
- Shred the pork with two forks and be sure to remove all bones.
- Add 100-200 ml of DL Jardines BBQ sauce.
- Keep shredding and mixing until the pulled pork looks sticky, saucy and amazing.
- Serve with coleslaw and brioche buns for the full Sam Canning’s BBQ Pulled Pork Slider experience.