- Serves 4
- Makes 4
- 41 minutes
- Difficulty Medium
- 13 Ingredients
This delicious fruity chutney is delicious served with Christmas ham, turkey, pork or seafood. You can also use this as a spread on sandwiches, wraps, sliders and burgers. Spread over a pizza base, top with tandoori or satay chicken and bake. Serve topped with yoghurt and extra mango chutney.
Ingredients (serves 4 | makes 4 )
- 1tbs olive oil
- 1 small red onion, grated
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped (see tip)
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, grated
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes, crushed
- 4 large Mangoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 large apple, peeled, grated
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup port
- strips of green onion
- mint leaves
- hoi sin sauce
- Combine the oil, onion, chilli, ginger and salt in a large, 7cm deep frying pan (see tip). Place over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring often 6 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the mango, apple, sugar, vinegar and port. Increase heat to medium-high, bring to the boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Boil gently, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon the hot chutney into hot sterilized jars, seal. Turn upside down and stand 2 minutes then turn right side up and allow to cool. Store in the fridge for up to 6 months. Serve with strips of green onion, mint leaves and hoi sin sauce.
- Leave the chilli seeds in if you like the chutney spicy.
- Using a wide deep-frying pan speeds up the cooking time. If you don’t have a deep wide pan, use a large saucepan, the cooking time will be about 10-15 minutes longer.