- Serves 4
- 30 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 13 Ingredients
I devised this recipe with the idea of incorporating spring/summer vegetables, fruit, herbs, with beef and rice. It's great for enticing children with bright colours to make dinnertime as appealing as possible. What child doesn't love holding a kebab? For younger children, kebabs should be taken off skewers for safety. It's also Gluten and Lactose free and so delicious!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 Porterhouse steaks (or reasonably good quality steak) cut into kebab sized pieces
- 1 Medium can of pineapple in natural juice (save the juice we use this for the marinade & rice)
- 1 Red capsicum (finely dice half for the rice and cut remainder into chunks for kebabs)
- 1 Diced carrot
- 1 Can baby corn (cut into bite sized pieces for rice)
- 10 Sprigs Coriander
- 1 Fresh tomato chopped
- 1 Jalapeño diced to taste (Optional)
- Pinch Salt and pepper for marinade to taste
- 2 Cups Cooked white rice (or brown if you prefer)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Packet Of bamboo skewers (soak these in cold water for 15 minutes before use)
- 1/4 tsp Oregano
- Firstly, place beef, 1/2 of the pineapple juice, half of the coriander (roughly chopped), salt and pepper to taste in a bowl to marinate the beef for 15 minutes. Place in refrigerator. Cook 2 cups of rice, either steam or boil according to packet directions. Set aside.
- Coat a large, warm frying pan with olive oil and sauté diced carrot, 1/2 of the diced red capsicum, baby corn pieces and diced tomato. Cook for 5 minutes until soft then add half a can of pineapple pieces and remaining coriander.
- Add rice to frying pan and stir through, add remaining pineapple juice, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste and jalapeño (optional)
- Cook for a further 5 minutes, stir again making sure juice coats all of the rice and vegetables. Set aside once stirred through.
- Remove beef from marinade and start threading onto skewers alternating beef, pineapple, and red capsicum (around 6-8 pieces on each skewer is sufficient).
- Once all of the kebabs are threaded place the skewers across the width of a roasting pan (like a makeshift BBQ) place the pan with skewers assembled across it into a moderate preheated oven for about 6-7 minutes for medium cooked beef. You could BBQ the skewers if you prefer.
- Serve the kebabs with the pineapple rice and some crusty bread or garden salad if you like.