This Sweet Rice Cake with Egg Custard is the perfect combination of two beautiful Filipino desserts combined into one!
Ingredients (makes 10 Egg custard, leche flan)
- 2 cups Sticky Rice
- 1 can Coconut milk
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 can Condensed Milk
- 10 pieces Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 cup Evaporated milk
- Sweet Rice Cake Recipe Combine the sticky rice and water in a rice cooker and cook until the rice is ready (we intentionally combined lesser amount of water than the usual so that the rice will not be fully cooked)
- While the rice is cooking, combine the coconut milk with brown sugar and salt in a separate pot and cook in low heat until the texture becomes thick. Stir constantly.
- Once the rice is cooked and the coconut milk-sugar mixture is thick enough, add the cooked rice in the coconut milk and sugar mixture then mix well. Continue cooking until all the liquid evaporates (but do not overcook).
- Scoop the cooked biko and place it in a serving plate then flatten the surface.
- Egg Custard Recipe Using all the eggs, separate the yolk from the egg white (only egg yolks will be used). Place the egg yolks in a big bowl then beat them using a fork or an egg beater Add the condensed milk and mix thoroughly Pour-in the fresh milk and Vanilla. Mix well
- Put the mold (llanera) on top of the stove and heat using low fire Put-in the granulated sugar on the mold and mix thoroughly until the solid sugar turns into liquid (caramel) having a light brown color. Note: Sometimes it is hard to find a Llanera (Traditional flan mold) depending on your location. I find it more convenient to use individual Round Pans in making leche flan.
- Spread the caramel (liquid sugar) evenly on the flat side of the mold Wait for 5 minutes then pour the egg yolk and milk mixture on the mold Cover the top of the mold using an Aluminum foil Steam the mold with egg and milk mixture for 30 to 35 minutes. After steaming, let the temperature cool down then refrigerate Serve for dessert. Share and Enjoy!