- Makes 15
- 1 hours
- Difficulty Medium
- 7 Ingredients
I made these Sweetheart Cookies for afternoon tea for my Mum and Dad’s 40th Wedding anniversary … but they would be perfect for anytime. A buttery biscuit with a sweet jam centre.
Ingredients (makes 15 cookies)
- 175g Plain flour
- 100g Chilled butter, cubed
- 85g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1/4 -1/2 cup Raspberry or strawberry jam
- Additional icing sugar to dust cookies with
- Put the flour, butter, sugar, vanilla and egg yolk in a food processor. Dribble in 1 TBS water, and blitz until the mix comes together to form a dough.
- Place onto a work surface, and knead briefly to bring together, then wrap in cling wrap, and chill for 20 minutes. ( If mix is too sticky, add more flour until it comes together a bit more)
- Once chilled, roll out on a floured surface and cut 30 heart shapes. Using a smaller heart cutter, cut a small heart in the middle of 15 of the biscuits
- Bake in a moderate oven for approx. 12 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- When completely cool, spread some jam on the complete halves of the hearts leaving a small border around the edge.
- Place all the heart cookies that have the middle cut out onto a separate tray and dust with icing sugar.
- Carefully place a heart with the middle cut out on top of the jam cookie and lightly press together.
All the little hearts you have left over from cutting out the centres make cute little cookies for the kids as they are a good little size for them. These keep in an airtight container for 3 days