I’ve been making this Italian cake for more than 15 years and it’s my favourite cake in the world! I hope you enjoy it too!
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 200 grams dark chocolate
- 200 grams unsalted butter
- 200 grams almond meal
- 200 grams sugar (rapadura sugar if possible)
- 5 eggs separated
- A few drops of almond essence
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees.
- Line a round baking dish with baking paper.
- In a saucepan gently melt the chocolate with the butter. Let cool down.
- In a bowl mix together the eggs yolks, almond meal and some drops of almond essence. Add the chocolate and butter mix.
- In another bowl whisk the egg whites till firm. Then gently fold them into the first bowl.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 10 minutes. Then continue baking for around 40 minutes at 170 degrees. Check that it doesn't burn. You could cover it with baking paper for the last 10 minutes to keep it safe from burning.
- Let it cool down, transfer to a plate and enjoy. It's even better one or two days after.