This Turkey and Tahini Koftas Recipe will have you thinking Koftas every night! The flavour is so clean and fresh and the turkey makes a lovely change to the more heavy lamb mince.
Ingredients (makes 12 Koftas)
- 500g Ingham's Turkey Mince (standard turkey mince not the 97% fat free turkey mince as you need the fat to bind the mixture)
- 1 small Brown Onion, very finely diced
- 1/2 can Chick Peas
- 3 tablespoons Tahini
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 small Carrot, finely grated
- 1 Egg
- Large Pinch Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 cup Coriander, finely chopped
- 6 -8 slices Multigrain, wholemeal or Sourdough bread
- 1.5 - 2 cups Olive Oil, for cooking the koftas
- In a food processor, blitz the bread until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Tip breadcrumbs into a wide bowl with sides.
- In the food processor (no need to rinse after the breadcrumbs) combine the chick peas, garlic, carrot and onion and blitz until it all comes together in a paste. Add the turkey mince, tahini, egg, salt and pepper and coriander and blitz again until combined.
- Taking a large tablespoon of turkey mixture, shape into a kofta and then roll firmly in the breadcrumbs. Place onto a sheet of baking paper on a tray.
- Once all the mince mixture has been made into koftas, cover loosely with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When you are ready to eat, heat the oil in a medium saucepan and allow it to come to a consistently moderate heat. You'll know the oil is ready if you drop a breadcrumb into the oil and it sizzles. Gently place each kofta into the oil to cook, turning regularly to retain shape and allow even cooking throughout.
- Once cooked, place gently onto a tray covered in paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
- Serve with leafy greens, wraps and traditional lebanese condiments like garlic dip, yoghurt, cucumber and tomato and hummous. Perfect for dinner, lunch or picnics.