This is a traditional Indian pudding that is made for celebrations. I have substituted the sugar with Xylitol and replaced clarified butter with just a scant tablespoon of coconut oil. Other flavourings that can be used in place of saffron are cardamom or cinnamon.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 3 1/2 cups Almond Milk
- 4 Tbsp Thin Vermicelli Noodles, dry roasted and browned
- 4 - 5 Tbsp Xylitol
- 2 Tbsp Almonds, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp Sultanas
- 1/2 tsp Saffron, crushed
- 1 Tbsp, scant Coconut Oil
- Take 1/2 cup of almond milk and heat it gently. Add the crushed saffron and set it aside.
- Toast the chopped almonds and sultanas, set aside.
- Melt coconut oil and add the vermicelli noodles. When aromatic and golden brown, mix in the Xylitol. Mix well and add in the toasted nuts and sultanas.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of Almond milk to the pan and cook covered until the vermicelli is completely soft cooked.
- At this stage, take the the pan off heat and add the remaining almond milk with saffron mixed into it. Mix well. Serve warm or cold, they both taste equally good.