A 16-year-old Sydney boy accused of plotting an Anzac Day terror attack is expected to apply for bail today.
The teen, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is due to face Parramatta Children’s Court later today accused of attempting to obtain a firearm in preparation for a terrorist act at an Anzac Day service, reports 9 NEWS.
The boy was arrested on a street near his Auburn home on Sunday by officers from the Joint Counter Terrorism Team, as part of Operation Vianden.
Court documents reveal the teenager has been charged with trying to get the weapon between Saturday and Sunday.
“Extremist propaganda” was also allegedly found by police at the boy’s home.
During a press conference yesterday morning, NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said the risk from the particular threat had been “thwarted”.
The teenager has been charged with one count of acts in preparation for, or planning, a terrorist act, which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.
Mr Scipione said there was an “online component” to the alleged offences and believed the teenager was acting alone.
“The age of the individual is of significant concern, 16 years of age, a boy,” Mr Scipione said, shortly after the Martin Place dawn service ceremony this morning.
“At this stage we believe it was one person by himself.
“The risk from this particular threat has been thwarted.”
The arrest was announced shortly before the start of Sydney’s main dawn service at Martin Place, but there are no details yet on the alleged plot.
“There was a search conducted and a number of items looked at. I’m not in a position to tell you if anything was seized,” Mr Scipione said.
“Clearly we have taken swift action to ensure community safety on the eve of a sacred day on the Australian calendar.
“Anzac Day should be observed by all in our community free from fear and I would encourage everyone to enjoy this special day.”
Police would not comment on the nature of the plot but said the teenager was known to them.
Mr Scipione urged people to “go out and enjoy the sacred day”, saying the level of security at Anzac Day services had been increased.
“Do not let an event like this stop you from going out and taking part in what is a most important commemorative day for us,” he said.
“So, please, don’t be perturbed.”
NSW Premier Mike Baird said the events were disturbing and praised police for the arrest.
“The important point is not to look at the hypotheticals, but to look at the actions that have been taken. Actions were taken by police to prevent actions, to keep us safe,” he told reporters after yesterday’s dawn service.
A Sydney teenager charged over an alleged Anzac Day terror plot has pleaded not guilty.
The 16-year-old’s lawyer Zemarai Khatiz entered the plea on his client’s behalf in the Parramatta Children’s Court today.
The teenager was not in court, and Mr Khatiz said he there would be a bail application on Friday, with supporting evidence from a psychologist’s report.
Share your comments below.
Image stock photo