Teen girl stung by the world’s deadliest jellyfish begged her mum to let her die after suffering worst pain ever.

Hannah Mitchell, 14, was stung on the arm by an Irukandji jellyfish while swimming with her friend Zoe off Dampier, in Western Australia’s north-west, on Easter Sunday.

Hannah thought she was going to die and even said her goodbyes to loved ones after she was stung.

All doctors could do was provide pain relief as Hannah suffered repeated spasms.

“It was more than pain, it was enough to think I was dying,” Hannah told 9NEWS.

“I could feel my lungs and my heart, everything inside me was like crumbling, it felt like it was crumbling.”

“In all honesty, we probably should have put her in an induced coma 24 hours before we did and so there’s conversations that need to happen around what to do next time and make sure we are not in this position again with other families,”┬áher mum said.

Hannah is now home from hospital but still needs pain medication two weeks on but the family is glad to be through the worst of her symptoms.

hannah mf

“I heard her say in the hospital, ‘Mum, can you just let me die? I can’t take it anymore’,” Ms Mitchell said.

“Not being able to make it better as a parent has been the hardest thing.”

“I’ll definitely be anxious to go back in the water because I nearly died but I don’t know, I hope to go back to the way things were and I’m excited to go back to the way things were,” Hannah said.

Find out how best to treat a jellyfish sting here.

january 2018 012

Share your comments below.

  • Having had a bluebottle sting, I do know something of how this child felt. But so pleased to hear the final outcome was good.


  • Oh the poor girl. That sounds awful.


  • Sweet girl. What a terrible experience. I’m glad she’s out of hospital now. Let’s hope the pain will slowly subside.


  • The poor girl! Glad she is recovering now and I hope the pain doesn’t last too much longer for her. Would put me off swimming for awhile


  • Poor girl ! I can so imagine her feelings not to be able to cope. One of my friends (adult male) got recently stung by a Bluebottle Sting and he literally passed out several times from the pain !


  • I don’t think I can imagine how painful it must have been. Trying to breathe with excruciating pain with your stomach involuntarily sucking itself in is horrific. It may have been a good idea to put her in an induced coma so she didn’t move around whilst trying to sleep. People move about even when they are sleeping heavily if they are in pain. I have witnessed it and had medical staff explain it to me. Hopefully the pain will go very quickly now.


  • So awful – I bet her parents. Are grateful for her recovery.


  • The pain must have been excruciating – so pleased she is recovering now.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating