We have previously shared how important it is for parents to be aware of the latest dares and challenges that kids participate in. This latest one has us very concerned in MoM HQ.
A bizarre challenge is sweeping the internet, which sees teenagers posting videos online of them eating laundry pods.
While the teenagers may think the whole thing is a massive joke, experts have previously warned about how harmful it can be to consume the pods.
YouTube videos show a number of teenagers putting the pods in frying pans, pretending to cook them, before serving them up in a bowl.
Submitting your rating…
The videos then cut to the kids putting a fork into the pods and biting into them, before a stream of colour and liquid seeps out.
CHOICE has previously shared that in the 18 months leading up to 2013, there were 85 calls made to Australian poison hotlines relating to accidents involving children and exposure to laundry capsules.
In 2013 the ACCC warned consumers about liquid laundry detergent capsule injuries.
“Children who have either ingested these laundry capsules or have been exposed to them have experienced symptoms such as severe skin irritations, coughing, drowsiness, vomiting and even temporary blindness,” ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said.
Late last year we shared that Doctors are urging parents not to buy or use liquid washing capsules and to buy washing powder instead.
The warning was issued after soaring numbers of children being hospitalised after ingesting gel tabs. Read more on that here.
Signs of poisoning
If you think your child has swallowed a corrosive, burning poison (such as dishwasher detergent, acid, caustic oven cleaner, swimming pool chemicals or some disinfectants), seek urgent medical help.
Signs to watch for include:
- red lips,
- possible breathlessness and coughing, and
- swelling inside the mouth and severe pain.
Be sure to keep the following in mind if a poisoning does occur:
- don’t induce vomiting and give the child nothing to eat or drink,
- rinse as much of the detergent as possible from their mouth and flush their eyes with water for at least 15 minutes, and
If your child has been exposed to household chemicals, such as laundry detergent products, immediately contact the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.
What parents can do
Parents can educate themselves before their kids go too far. A simple Google search for dangerous social media trends among teenagers will provide some guidance.
Talk to your kids! Know who their mates are and what their interests are, chat to them about the latest dares you might hear about and let them know the dangers involved. Always keep the doors of communication open.
Share your comments below.