This man was shocked to discover he blew 0.05 in a random breath test after applying an ointment to treat a mouth ulcer.
He had just used Bonjela, best known for soothing the gums of teething babies, which happens to contain a small amount of alcohol, shares yahoo news.
“I was pretty much, ‘ah, what, when, how, ’cause I haven’t had a drink’,” Melbourne driver Chris said after being stopped for an RBT at lunchtime on Australia Day.
“While I was in the queue I put some Bonjela on an ulcer I had on my tongue, and a couple of minutes later when I was breath tested I blew over the limit.”
“Oh I was terrified, it gave me such a fright because you get asked to turn the car off, you have to get out of the car in front of all the other traffic, and a police officer moves your car off to the side of the road – it was embarrassing,” Chris said.
After being questioned by police, Chris realised the Bonjela cream was the cause.
“I’m still really surprised, I just assumed a product for babies wouldn’t have had alcohol in it,” he said.
“If you are going to put Bonjela on, make sure it’s 15 minutes before you drive,” Chris advised after his experience.
Share your comments below
Shutterstock photoWe may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.