Three children who attended a New Year’s Eve gathering have been diagnosed with meningococcal.
Brisbane residents are being assured they’re not at increased risk of contracting the deadly disease.
The children, reportedly all aged under five, were admitted to the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital on New Year’s Day, reports 9 news.
They all tested positive for the potentially deadly disease after spending New Year’s Eve with family at the popular South Bank Parklands celebrations.
Queensland Health say the general public is not at increased risk of the disease as it is generally only spread after close, prolonged contact.
“You need to be a close contact to be at increased risk of meningococcal disease and that does not include being in the same sort of general area as a case,” physician Dr Megan Young told reporters on Wednesday.
The incubation period is typically around seven days, but can be anywhere between three and 10 days.
All those identified as having close contact with the children had been contacted and provided with antibiotics where appropriate, Dr Young said.
It’s believed the children are all related.
Health authorities have confirmed the trio are from the city’s Northside and became ill after an “extended family gathering” over the holidays.
They remain in hospital, with doctors still trying to determine the exact strain of meningococcal.
Symptoms in young children include
Fever, refusal to feed, irritability, grunting or moaning, extreme tiredness or floppiness, nausea or vomiting, diarrhoea, turning away from light, convulsions and rash of red or purple pinprick spots or larger bruises.
Please be aware of the symptoms and keep an eye on your child, if you have any concerns see your doctor.
Share your comments below.