Hello!

11 Comments

Woolworths is recalling their Halloween Ghost and Pumpkin LED Spinning Wands. The toy may crack open exposing the button cell batteries, which could cause serious injury if swallowed.

Woolworths takes product safety seriously and have advised customers of a product recall on the following product:

Halloween Spinning Wand

Description: 478661 Halloween Ghost and Pumpkin LED Spinning Wands

This product has been sold in Woolworths and Safeway supermarkets nationally from 28 September 2016 to 18 October 2016.

Defect: Product may crack open when dropped eposing the button cell batteries.

Hazard: Ingestion of button cell batteries by young children can cause internal burns which may lead to serious injuries or death.

Action required: Customers should immediately cease using the product and return it to any Woolworths or Safeway supermarkets for a full refund.

Woolworths apologises to their customers for any inconvenience caused by this recall and if further information is required about the recall they are invited to call our

Toll-free Customer Service number:  1800 103 515


Related story: The hidden dangers of button batteries


Just last week we shared a story of a father has been left heartbroken after an inquest into the death of his two-year-old daughter found a corroded battery was cause of death.

recall-halloweenled-300

If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, immediately call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26 or go to a hospital emergency room. Do not let the child eat or drink, and do not induce vomiting.

In the video below, CHOICE conducted a test to simulate the devastating consequences of a child accidentally ingesting a button battery.

Share your comments below.

Image stock photo

  • Ooh, I’m assuming something has happened to warrant this recall. I hope nobody has been seriously hurt. I know the button batteries have been highlighted recently, so it’s best to check all toys and age appropriateness, regardless of the theme.

    Reply

  • What a terrible news, we need better toy designer to make safer units for our precious kids.

    Reply

  • Those button cell batteries are very frightening. I also worry about my pets swallowing these, I try to buy things that don’t contain these batteries! (Sorry typo)

    Reply

  • Those button cell batteries are very frightening. I also worry about my pets swallowing these, I try not to buy things that don’t contain these batteries!

    Reply

  • Thanks for the article,l’m sure parents will need to recall them.

    Reply

  • There seems to be quite a few stories on things bring recalled. We really need to up our quality control to stop faulty products making it to our shop shelves

    Reply

  • Thanks for the warning about these Halloween toys.


    • It seems to have been well publicised so hopefully the message gets out to those that may have purchased them.

    Reply

  • how do these things keep making it past the safety testing???

    Reply

  • Not that I would buy anything like this, but button batteries should be banned or encased so that they are not a swallow hazard.

    Reply

  • There should be a ban on any more toys being made to use button batteries.
    Not only are a lot not securely enclosed but they tend to leak anyway and not just in toys

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join