This is REAL LIFE: This is what a mummy mental breakdown looks like…
Mum shares emotional video to show what motherhood is like on a bad day.
US Mum, Sarah Van Sickle, shared her video on Facebook explaining, “I’m so sick of people just showing the perfect side of parenthood on social media, and today was one of the worst days I’ve had as a mum. I’m tired. Mentally and emotionally drained. Feeling like a failure of a mum. Feeling beyond clueless as to why my child has the world’s worst tantrums for no reason. Feeling guilty for yelling at him and even more guilty for wanting to crawl in a hole and stay there. Etc.”
“THIS is real life. THIS is the dark side of parenting they don’t tell you about in books. We are NOT perfect. Neither are our kids. We are human. We break down. We cry. We get frustrated. We lose our tempers. We need help. And at the end of the day, we are doing THE BEST WE KNOW HOW.”
“So to all the new Mum’s or a Mum who feels like she’s losing her everloving mind.
You’re not alone, and NONE of us have it together.”
Sarah’s video has been viewed over 3.9 million times and attracted over 87,000 shares.
Not everyone was supportive of the mum
Not all mum’s agreed with her post and some even told her to put the camera down and attend to her child’s needs.
– “A child that bangs his head is often in pain,” wrote one. “Think headache. Look at his diet. He is unhappy about something, it’s your job to find out what that is.”
– “It’s not all about you,” added another. “Now turn your camera off of yourself and figure out what your child needs.”
– Another wrote, “Something had to be wrong, maybe an ear infection!? If not that you need to find help. There’s no reason a child sound scream like that!! Either communication with means a whole new level of detail about what and why! As special needs mom, I get it life gets hard. However you have to get to the doctor and get to the root of the problem!!”
– “You can speak to him tell him it’s not ok to scream and if he does he will be spanked and you will have to show him what spank means then he will quickly become calm I promise.”
– “I’m sorry but as a teacher I’m so SICK of parents crying about how hard it is then just throwing there terrible children at me and expecting me to fix the bad behavior they have failed to fix. ”
– “Crying for 40 minutes pull over and comfort him.”
– “Is it just me (it might be) but if my son screamed like that for days in a row till they are hoarse I would be at the ER with him. Sounds like he is in pain or something is wrong. I’m a mom, I have cried, then yelled, then cried again for yelling so I understand… But that sounds like something wrong.”
– “It is normal but instead of making a video why not, I don’t know, DRIVE with the music on until he falls asleep if that’s all you can do at that time. They can’t cry forever.”
Sarah has no regrets about posting her video, and wants other people to share their “honest horror stories”.
“Thank you to everybody who has reached out,” she wrote in a follow up post.
“Most of them are so supportive and kind and uplifting, and I can’t thank you enough for that.”
We can so relate to Sarah’s post! Thanks for keeping it real, mum x
Share your comments belowWe may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.