Hello!

17 Comments

X-ray shows a troll doll in a two-year-old girl’s stomach after she swallowed and choked on the toy.

Eloise Huggett and her sister, Millie, were ready for bed last Wednesday when parents Melanie and Justin heard their toddler struggling to breathe in her bedroom in Townsville, Queensland.

‘We didn’t know Eloise actually had the troll in her hand, and the next minute we heard her choking and we were trying to figure out what it was,’ Mrs Huggett told Daily Mail Australia.

She had the head of the Mandy Sparkledust troll in her hand, and the parents realised Eloise had swallowed the troll’s 6cm long and 2cm wide plastic body.

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Image of Love To Dream Sleep Bag
Love To Dream Sleep Bag

Submitting your rating…

‘I initially panicked, I was very obviously concerned for her,’ Mrs Huggett said.

‘My husband was the calm one in the situation.’

Mr Huggett began administering first-aid in an attempt to dislodge the doll from Eloise’s throat, with his hand on her back.

‘We needed to get it out of her airways, that was the most critical point. She was struggling to breathe at that stage,’ Mrs Huggett said.

‘We leapt into action pretty quickly to get it out.’

‘She ended up swallowing it down and she let out a big cry; it was a relief because we knew she was breathing again. It was pretty scary. It was awful.’

Eloise was taken from the Alice River home to Townsville Hospital, where an x-ray showed the doll had made its way to her stomach and was safely and gradually making its way through her body.

Doctors told the family Eloise did not require surgery and the troll doll would make its way out naturally.

‘Over the next 24-hours, she was experiencing some level of discomfort. She knew something wasn’t right,’ Mrs Huggett said.

The mother said Eloise wasn’t vomiting or acting out of character.

‘She was just a bit uncomfortable.

‘We knew the troll was making its exit from the body.

‘We’re lucky it ended the way it did, and it came out the other end with minimal discomfort.’

The Townsville mother said other parents who’ve been putting off doing a first-aid course should try to make the time.

‘It’s such an important skill to have.’

Eloise may have got the idea from the popular Trolls movie she loves to watch. During the movie characters swallow the little trolls whole.

Do you think the message for parents here is a reminder to watch the kids favourite movie with them and have a discussion around various aspects (ie that we don’t really eat people/toys) or is that a bit OTT?

Share your comments below.

Image via Daily Mail

  • she saved her child’s life and that would have been scary to witness

    Reply

  • Oh gees that’s pretty hectic!

    Reply

  • Thank heavens it all ended well – such a shock for the family and a timely reminder to do a first aid course.

    Reply

  • The message here would be don’t buy small toys that your children may swallow. I do believe that we all need to learn basic first aid. Thank goodness that the little girl is okay though

    Reply

  • Do you think it warrants recalls the same as other toys do? I think so. The child may not have actually trying tro eat the toy. Some little ones suck on toys as a comfort thing.

    Reply

  • Thank God it ended well !! Scary stuff indeed.
    When I worked as a psychiatric nurse, we had sometimes patients who swallowed things like forks and knives and still survived ! our bodies are amazing, but wouldn’t challenge it…

    Reply

  • My son chocked on a 10c piece when he was 2 He was trying to hide it from his sister. I didnt know about it till I heard her yell. He was Blue and foaming .. His father rang an ambulance as he was really struggling. I had done the hit with my palm a number of times, nothing. The ambulance came and grabbed him, they got some air into him. They could see the 10 and tried with long tool to grab it but it went down. He then was given mouth to mouth and passed out. We went to the hospital and he has passed out. The paramedic said it was due to shock. We got him to the hospital by this time he was coming round. And said sorry. They x-rayed him and said lucky it was in his gullett so it would pass. They said it was due to the way it was laying in his throat that blocked his airway. It was a horrible thing to go through. But eneded up well.

    Reply

  • what an scary thing to go through – I thank them for sharing their story and reminding us all that little people don’t always do what we expect them to do and can end up in some dangerous situations.

    So glad that the troll body was dislodged and that the little girl is better now

    Reply

  • It never hurts to have a few reminder chats with your kds about the difference between TV or movies and real life.

    Reply

  • Scary stuff and glad it all ended well.

    Reply

  • Glad it all ended well. Dad saved the day

    Reply

  • Ooh, what a terrible accident. I can’t believe this is something shown in a popular kids movie. Glad to hear the little girl is okay.

    Reply

  • Thank goodness the little girl is ok.

    Reply

  • It wasn’t that life threatening, except for the initial choking. The scarey bit is letting it pass through the body naturally, it’s not a tiny toy

    Reply

  • oh wow how scary! They are so quick aren’t they!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join