Hello!

9 Comments

After the incident yesterday with 25 school students ingesting a toxic chemical they believed to be lollies Queensland Health Minister has issued a warning to parents.

Breaking news yesterday when Queensland school kids ate toxic flame colorant a child had taken to school believing it was a packet of “popping candy.”

The school was reportedly locked down while paramedics attended to the sick children.

Deception Bay North State School principal Pamela O’Loughlin said 25 pupils ingested a product called Mystical Fire in the school yard on Monday, believing it was popping candy, reports 9 NEWS.

She says a full investigation will determine who brought the product to school amid reports it was a nine-year-old girl.

But she says it’s important to remember the incident involved young, Grade 4 students, and said they must be treated gently.

“These are little children. They were Grade 4-aged children so we need to show a little bit of care for their feelings,” she told ABC radio on Tuesday.

“When we do get to the people or person who brought it along (to school), did they really understand what it was? Do we really know that?”

Ms O’Loughlin said staff at the school handled the emergency very well, and provided preliminary first aid when the children began complaining of sore throats and mouths and nausea.

Call for better safety warnings

Queensland Health Minister Cameron Dick has flagged the need for changes to the bright packaging of Mystical Fire.

“It is something that could grab the eye of children, so I think we need to perhaps look at it,” he told Nine Network.

Mr Dick also warned parents to be careful about chemical products being brought into the family home.

“Make sure you put it in a safe place.”

Share your comments below.

Image via Pinterest

  • Did he not think about how he would be treated before he made the decision to become a distgusting human being ruining those girls lives! I hope his treatment goes viral so it deters others. Prison is not a holiday!

    Reply

  • Concerning ! They have a no food sharing policy at our kids school, but kids are kids, they still share anyway pity enough….

    Reply

  • This sounds like a terrible accident.
    I have never heard of. Mystical fire before. I’m glad no one was seriously hurt

    Reply

  • Schools have policies in place to reduce a range of risks but they cannot be prepared for everything. And parents have to act responsibly as well. In this case it would seem that a parent was not aware that their nine year old child had taken flame colorant from home to school! Used for colouring flames? In Queensland?!

    Reply

  • maybe a change in packaging is needed, kids can just get into everything these days

    Reply

  • Children at my daughter’s school were told never to share food. I think this is a good idea.

    Reply

  • As long as parents are aware of the dangers,so this will not happen again.

    Reply

  • I had to check in Internet what Mystical Fire is because I’ve never heard about it before. I now understand that Mystical Fire is a product used to change the colour of wood-burning fires. It’s really upsetting that it arrived at school and who brought it in didn’t realize what it actually was. Luckily the most serious effects were vomit and upset tummies. It could have been much worse.

    Reply

  • If that is the actual packet that the children got the substance from I hope the principal or perhaps a counseller takes this around to every classroom and explains to the pupils how dangerous this substance is and how much worse it could have been had they not vomitted it up. Alernatively they could call a special assembly and ask a Dr. to speak about it. The children need to learn the meaning of danger printed on containers of any type. The younger the children learn this the better it will be.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join