A concerned mum has warned parents about the dangers of children and solid Easter eggs.
A UK mum warned parents about the possible dangers of Mini Eggs – after claiming that her daughter choked on one and passed away.
Taking to Mumsadvice.co.uk, the mum wrote: “With Easter coming up I want to warn you all about another deadly choking hazard, one that tragically took away my child.
The mum warned other parents to keep an eye on their children
Submitting your rating…
“It has been just short of three years since my precious little girl Sophie passed away she had choked on a mini egg and I was unable to dislodge it, even with back slaps and pushing up and under her ribs, I had done a first aid course only six months prior to this event so all the techniques to help a choking child were still fresh in my mind but it didn’t help.
“I watched the light slip away from my baby’s eyes, I tried in vain to save her.
“Sophie was 5 1/2 so not a tiny tot yet this seemingly harmless treat took my angel away.
She added: “If your children enjoy these chocolate treats please watch them extra close and remind them to sit down whilst eating them or avoid them altogether.”
Another mum also shared her concerns over the mini eggs
The tiny egg-shaped chocolates with hard sugar shells are always popular. Cadbury’s version, Mini Eggs, are just one of many available for Easter.
Sharing on her Facebook page, Nanny Valentine – Behaviour Coach, believes they shouldn’t be given to children at all before the age of four and claims they are a choking hazard, shares The Mirror.
She wrote: “Many parents are now aware of the dangers of grapes and cut them in half.
“Many parents don’t even see these chocolate treats as a danger but they are and mustn’t be given to children under 4!
“I cringe every time I see little ones munching on these delicious treats.
“They are hard and the perfect shape to get lodged in a child’s throat. If this post saves a little one from a terrible accident then it’s worth me posting.
“My children are often bought these at Easter but sorry boys mummy has to eat these.
“Please share and help raise awareness of the danger of these eggs to our little ones.”
Her post, which has since been deleted from Facebook, was shared thousands of times by concerned parents.
Something worth considering when buying an Easter gift for little ones especially after the tragic death of Little Tassie boy, Alby, who sadly choked on a bouncy ball. Read that heartbreaking story HERE.
For tips on what to do if your child is choking READ HERE.
Share your comments below.