Another young girl has been severely scarred after falling victim to the hot water challenge.
Earlier we reported that a young girl died after a dare with her cousin to drink boiling water through a straw.
Ki’ari Pope, 8, suffered medical problems in March when she burned her throat and mouth upon performing the dare they had seen on youtube.
The young girl under went a tracheotomy, reportedly said that she couldn’t breathe Sunday night before becoming unresponsive.
She was taken to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead at 12:15 a.m. Monday.
Authorities investigated the March incident, which left Pope deaf and with chronic respiratory issues.
The investigation into the dare determined that Pope had been “medically compromised,” according to the Palm Beach Post.
Officials said they also plan to probe her death.
“We have opened a child death investigation to examine the circumstances surrounding her death and will deploy a Critical Incident Rapid Response Team to review all interactions this family has had with Florida’s child welfare system,” said Mike Carroll, secretary of Florida Department of Children and Families.
A GoFundMe page was created to raise money for her funeral expenses.
Our thoughts are with all involved.
Hot water challenge leaves young girl severely burned
AN 11-year-old girl was severely burned when her friends allegedly poured scalding hot water on her during a sleepover as part of a dangerous new craze, according to reports.
The girl, identified by New York 1 as Jamoneisha Merritt, suffered burns to her face chest, back and shoulders early Monday morning, the New York Post reports.
Police have arrested and charged the 12-year-old girl who allegedly dumped the water on her.
The heinous act was apparently part of a moronic stunt known as the “hot water challenge,” in which an unsuspecting person has boiling hot water dumped on them. In other variations, people willingly try to consume boiling water, police sources said.
Please teach your kids to never accept a dare!
There are some terrifying dares that kids participate in including, the “cinnamon challenge”, “salt and ice challenge,” “duct tape challenge,” the “Blue Whale game” “deodorant challenge” and the “choking game”.
There was even a teen from Louisiana, USA, who was challenged to put a hammer head in her mouth and then uploaded pictures to social media after it got stuck. CRAZY!
Psychology Today explains, “When it comes to risk, kids lack an adequate braking system. Adolescence is a time of experimentation and exploration. Kids feel powerful and immune to negative consequences. Their bursts of development across the teen years makes them prone to impulsive behaviors. They’re also susceptible to peer influence.”
Dr. Harold S. Koplewicz, a child and adolescent psychiatrist, says that adolescents are vulnerable to mood disorders. Their decision-making brain does not mature until the early to mid-twenties. They need support and guidance. “There’s a real difference between the brains of teenagers and adults… They feel everything so much more intensely.”
Adolescents prefer high-excitement and low-effort activities. They’re receptive to dangerous games, risky acts, and social media contagions.
As Psychology Today says, kids are easily influenced by the latest trends and by their need to belong to the in-crowd.
They use these dares to prove themselves and build their self-esteem. They often cannot correctly evaluate the consequences, for themselves or others.
Although they’re still held responsible if they harm others in the process, they don’t think about such consequences.
What parents can do
Fortunately, there are signs for some of this behavior, such as bloodshot eyes, or odd bruises, cuts or burns.
Parents can educate themselves before their kids go too far. A simple Google search for dangerous social media trends among teenagers will provide some guidance.
Talk to your kids! Know who their mates are and what their interests are, chat to them about the latest dares you might hear about and let them know the dangers involved. Always keep the doors of communication open.
Share your comments below
Main Image via GofundmeWe may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.