Hello!

10 Comments

A young girl was accidentally poisoned by a doctor in a medication mix-up at Perth’s Fiona Stanley Hospital.

The mix-up occured in February, the girl’s foster mother has now spoken out after a 60-year-old man died earlier this month as a result of a suspected incorrect medication dose at FSH, reports Perth Now.

The girl went to hospital to have stitches, when a female doctor injected her several times with a dose of magnesium sulphate instead of an anaesthetic, her foster mother said.

Doctors only realised their mistake when the girl would not stop screaming in agony as they attempted to stich her wound.

Apologetic medicos later told the family there had been a mistake as the medications were stored close to each other and in similar packaging.

Magnesium sulphate can treat high blood pressure or asthma, but can cause abnormally low blood pressure and impact breathing.

“They’d be trying to stitch and she’d start screaming and wrestling off the table,” the foster mum said.

“They kept putting more and more of the magnesium sulphate into her.

“They said, ‘She can’t feel it, she can’t feel it’, but I said, ‘She’s screaming!”

The girl, whose initial wound happened when she fell into a branch in a bush while playing at home, was kept overnight for observation. She recovered without any ill effects.

Share your comments below.

image via stock photo

  • That can’t be good. Very lucky the child was only sick because of it and wasn’t killed. I would think they would have known better

    Reply

  • That’s one bad mistake !!
    Don’t understand how this can happen as medication should be checked at least by 2 different staff members ?!
    Poor girl, this must have been very traumatic to her !

    Reply

  • I know everyone can make mistakes, but this poor girl would never want to go near a hospital again in her life. There are many bottles that look the same as does the packaging, that’s why we are meant to read the label to make sure what we are giving is the correct medication.

    Reply

  • I thought all medical staff, especially doctors, were meant to read the labels on bottles/medication before before gi ing anything to a patient. What I don’t understand is, why the bottle wasn’t checked after the girl was screaming & before giving her more

    Reply

  • There may be no permanent physical side effects but what about physocological damage. The article doesn’t state the girl’s age.

    Reply

  • I can’t understand this mistake given the checking that usually goes on.

    Reply

  • How horrible for the girl. I understand mistakes happen, but in hospitals mistakes just shouldnt happen. Medications should be picked by one person and chcked by another before being administered or something!

    Reply

  • It’s really terrible to read about these mix-ups!

    Reply

  • Ohhh that poor girl. More care needs to be taken in our hospitals. Its happenning way too often and hurting too many people. Thank God she is ok

    Reply

  • I know medical staff are often under pressure, but surely making sure you are giving the right medication is something that should be a first priority. Everyone in this incident is lucky the wrong medication didn’t cause irreversible harm to the patient.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join