The guitar, the instrument that has brought us our favourite pop hits for years from blues legends, to gods of rock all the way to classical aficionados, is deeply rooted in nearly every culture. If your child isn’t particularly sporty, or is very interested in music, then maybe you should consider getting them a guitar this Christmas.
Here are five reasons as to why you should get your child into the guitar
- If you child needs to fine tune their motor skills the guitar is a great way to increase coordination ability. The process of actively using both hands in synchronization will allow kids to work on their fine motor skills, which in turn translates into many other pursuits.
- Improves speech, reading, and picking tones of voice
- According to neuroscientists at Northwestern University, researchers have discovered that playing the guitar makes children better at reading, speaking and hearing the differences in people’s tone of voice. So, if you are looking to give your children an edge in the classroom, the guitar is a no brainer.
- Low entry cost need to buy much else for a few years.
- If you think your child learning guitar is going to be expensive, we have some good news for you, it’s not THAT expensive! A beginner level Yamaha nylon string guitar will set you back no more than $100. However, if you feel your child might want the adrenalin rush of an electric guitar you can generally pick up a very cheap entry level electric guitar and amp for $200 – $300, not too bad considering you won’t
- Great way to make new friends
- The guitar is an inherently social instrument. Sitting around jamming with friends is something kids love to do. Learning an instrument such as the saxophone, trumpet or flute doesn’t give kids this ability. The guitar also enables them to play all their favourite songs, which will make them less likely to quit.
- Build more brainpower
- Playing the guitar, according to a Cambridge University study, makes musicians creative even when they aren’t playing. This means that your child can be more creative in their everyday life, just by playing the guitar!