Hello!

34 Comments

Rebekah Griffin couldn’t understand why her baby had red, puffy eyes and a snotty nose every time he woke up. Until she made a disgusting discovery.

The mum-of-two says she’s sharing her story, to warn other mums to be on the lookout for the same symptoms.

She says her baby would wake with red, puffy eyes and a snotty nose. But when the family went on a holiday, the symptoms stopped. Once the family returned home, so too did the symptoms. Her baby had been sleeping in a bassinet, but she decided it was time to put in a cot, and it was then she discovered what had been happening.

“We used this bassinet with our first baby, and we had no issues,” Rebekah explained in a social media post. “BUT he was a back sleeper. Baby number two is a natural belly sleeper, and somehow, his drool soaked through the mattress and into the cork board causing black mould.

“Mould is nothing to mess around with. It destroys your health. My poor baby had such red eyes and was snotty every time he woke up. I thought he just had sensitive skin and was snotty from the cold weather, but no. It was mould.

“I was absolutely MORTIFIED when I saw the mould. I was in tears and couldn’t believe my baby had been sleeping on that for two months. “How did this happen? I keep it clean?? How on earth did this happen?” It definitely is scary sharing this, but I wanted to share this so you can be warned of it.

“Get a bassinet that doesn’t have a wood or cork bottom. If your baby likes to belly sleep, clean under the mattress often. DON’T mess around with mould. Anywhere. In your house, car, shower, whatever. It will destroy your body.”

black mould baby bassinet

According to Better Health, mould can trigger nasal congestion, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, respiratory infections and worsen asthma and allergies. It recommends avoiding placing mattreses on the floor or surfaces without adequate ventilation, and turn mattresses regularly.

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • All this warm wet weather we are experiencing is the perfect breeding ground for mould. It’s a real worry.

    Reply

  • You are so nice to pass on your findings and warn other mums of the possible problems.
    Things like this need to be openly discussed for every one’s benefit.

    Reply

  • Yikes! I am glad that they found the cause and can warn other parents to check

    Reply

  • Wow that is full on. Glad you found the issue and now warning others.

    Reply

  • That’s really scary. Thanks for sharing your story so others can be aware…

    Reply

  • Wow…this is very scary and something that everyone needs to be aware of.

    Reply

  • I’m so sorry this happened. But what a great lesson. It’s something I wasn’t aware of , and I’m sure many other families, so thanks for sharing. Information and awareness if everything.

    Reply

  • Imagine the shock this mother would have felt!
    Glad she found it. I am always wary of old baby items, or second hand cleaning thoroughly and inspecting before using for this very reason!

    Reply

  • I can imagine the mum’s shock ! Glad she discovered it. Thanks for making us aware !

    Reply

  • That must have been a lot of drool ????


    • I thin k only a little drool can make this happen, mould can grow very well

    Reply

  • So scary to think that’s what it is capable of

    Reply

  • Not great, but it does demonstrate how sneaky mould can be.


    • It does indeed take constant awareness and management.

    Reply

  • I’m so glad you found this out sooner rather than later. I hope everything is now back to the way it should be and, please, don’t blame yourself. Instead you need to realise that you have been able to warn others about what they need to look out for.

    Reply

  • Yes, some molds cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems. And a few molds, in the right conditions, produce “mycotoxins,” poisonous substances that can make seriously sick.
    Don’t mess around with mould indeed !

    Reply

  • Mould is really bad and it doesn’t take much for it to grow.

    Reply

Post a comment
Add a photo
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join