If your household is anything like mine, then with dinnertime always comes leftovers.
Try as I might I can never quite get the portions exact!
To be honest, I’m a Leftovers disaster! Little plastic containers everywhere in the fridge and don’t get me started on little ziplock bags!
In my house leftovers generally suffer any one of the following fates …
- the dog finds a little extra in his bowl that night (yes I know I’m not supposed to do it, but I sometimes do)
- I put them in the freezer having all the right intentions of reusing them at a later date only to pull them out 6 months later completely unrecognisable
- I take them to the office the next day, forget about them come lunchtime then end up throwing them out at the end of the week
Or more often than not, the boys on after dinner clear up duty dump them immediately into the bin ‘because they’ll never get used’.
The bottom line is I’m wasting food and that’s actually a tragedy.
A tragedy for my budget (food in the bin is money down the drain) but more importantly a tragedy for the environment – all that dumped food has to go somewhere doesn’t it?
Considering most mums would like to save on their grocery bill and reduce the amount of food that ends up in the bin (in Australia we throw a whopping $10 million worth of uneaten food away every year), Pampas have the perfect solution.
RE-PIE-CLING. Yes you read that right RE-PIE-CLING.
Re-pie-cling is an ingenious take on the good old family pie and it’s the perfect solution to create another full family meal using all the leftovers. TWO MEALS for (almost) the price of one? YES PLEASE!
The team at Pampas are making it their mission to reduce food wastage Australia wide. In line with this they are encouraging families all around the country to start RE-PIE-CLING.
The options are endless … and quick and easy which is even better. And the end result is a flaky, puffy, crusty and delicious pie your family will simply gobble down with glee.
Watch this video to see how Matt Stone creates a delicious Chicken & Vegetable pie using leftover roast chicken (a weekly staple in our house) and Pampas pastry.
RE-PIE-CLE to WIN A Sunbeam Pie Magic®
Pampas have thrown down the RE-PIE-CLING challenge to Mouths of Mums members.
Get RE-PIE-CLING and your entry could WIN you one of the Sunbeam Pie Magic® piemakers we have to give away each week!
RE-PIE-CLE, take a photo of your pie and then ENTER THE COMPETITION HERE.
While we’re talking about reducing waste, here’s a few little facts that are very interesting …
- 71% of Australians are seeking to be more sustainable by reducing food wastage
- 95% of Australians are trying to economise on their food bill, which includes 70% of Australians keeping and eating more leftover food items.
- Only 16% of Australians are using leftovers as ingredients for a pie.
- The greatest appeal for pie fillings amongst Australian’s are beef casserole (63%), roast chicken (59%), lamb stew (57%), and roast beef (54%).
- Most households (92%) throw away food that has been cooked but not eaten each week and 85% throw out fruit or vegetables that have gone off each week.
- 72% of households end up throwing out food items because they are passed their use by date each week.
What leftover meal would you most like to put in a pie? SHARE YOUR IDEAS in the comments below.