Separating assets is something you can do at any time after you separate from your partner – you don’t need to wait until your divorce is finalised.

There is in fact a 12 month time limit from the date of your divorce within which you may apply for property division or spousal maintenance orders in the Family Court of Western Australia, without having to seek special permission of the Court.

Before the Family Court can consider making any order at all, it must be satisfied that it would be just and equitable to do so. In most cases, this threshold issue is met merely by the fact that you have separated – which often means that you cannot continue to use your jointly owned property or rely on your previous joint financial relationship.

The Court will then follow a four step process when assessing your property division dispute. Those steps require the Court to –

  1. Identify and value your assets and liabilities, including any superannuation;
  2. Look into the past and consider each of your financial and non-financial contributions to the acquisition, conservation or improvements to your property, as well as contributions as homemaker and parent. The Court will make a preliminary percentage division based on these “contributions” only;
  3. Look into the future and assess both of your ongoing needs and personal and financial circumstances. It will then make a finding whether any adjustment to the preliminary division made at step 2 is necessary;
  4. Consider the effect of the findings at steps 2 and 3 and make an order that is just and equitable in all the circumstances.

What are your assets worth?

Try to reach agreement with your ex-partner about the value of your assets, liabilities and superannuation. If not, try to estimate the value of your assets such as homes, cars and businesses. You should obtain documents that provide the current balances of your superannuation; bank accounts, loans, credit cards or other debts.

If you can’t reach an agreement with your ex-partner about the value of items, you will have to appoint experts to value them. There are very specific rules that apply to the appointment of experts and the use of their evidence. You should contact your lawyer before you obtain any valuations to avoid spending a lot of money on an expert report you cannot use.

Can you and your “ex” agree on a property settlement?


You should negotiate an out-of-court settlement if at all possible, and get advice about alternative dispute resolution methods. It is best to use experienced negotiators and mediators.

If you and your ex-partner reach an agreement by negotiation or mediation, we strongly recommend that you record the terms of the agreement in the form of a consent order filed at the Family Court. This will create certainty and provide the Court with power to enforce the orders if necessary.

Always seek reliable legal advice

Property settlement, spousal maintenance and separating your financial relationship can be a daunting task, particularly when you are also dealing with the emotions of separating. You may have to make important decisions that will affect your future financial security.

You should always for peace of mind, obtain legal advice either before you start negotiating, or after you have reached an agreement in principle, to ensure that you obtain a fair settlement.

Have you divided assets before? Share with us below.

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • very sad that this even has to be advice for someone. it would be great if people never had to go through divorce


  • I’m so glad I never had to do this! I know a couple, separated 3 years ago and are still arguing over the assets

    • That is a long time and it must be terribly painful for them.


  • And this is why I will never get divorced! Protect your assets and seek the right advice, just like insuring your car, your home, and your belongings, you really need to insure yourself too!

    • In SA If you separate you or your ex-partner/spouse can file for a legal separation. I know a guy who did that the propery settlement went through in the same court case. About 10 years after he filed for a divorce. He got his solicitor to send the documents to his ex-wife to be signed. She could have refused it would go through anyway. She didn’t have to have a JP to witness to witness her signature but one of her daughter’s work colleagues was a JP and suggested she sign them. It didn’t cost her anything because she didn’t have to go to court. He ex. had to pay the costs for his solicitor and court costs himself. His excuse for deciding to get the divorce was she might want to marry again. That never happened – not even a relationship.


  • Interesting article and the most important message is seek reliable and legal advice.


  • I guess this is a good thing to at least be aware of – hoping that it will never happen to me though – must be hard for those that have horrible ex’s that have to go through this and sorting out custody and rights over children – such a heartbreaking time for everyone


  • I have not divided assets before and hopefully will not in the future!


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating