Hello!

10 Comments

Mum shares an urgent warning: “ATTN PARENTS! Watch out for those cute fuzzy orange and black caterpillars!”

Krystal Dawn Pyne shared a warning on her Facebook page when she found herself in hospital with her 8-month-old daughter after she put a caterpillar in her mouth.

“At 9 a.m. my 3 year old son, my 8-month-old daughter and myself were hanging out on our back deck. My daughter was sitting eating an arrowroot cookie and had just finished it when all of the sudden she started screaming. It was about time for her morning nap and I figured she must just be hungry and/or tired so I made her a bottle. She didn’t want anything to do with it and she was basically inconsolable at this point. As I’m trying to figure out what is wrong with her, she had her mouth open while crying and I noticed the inside of her mouth had some blackness to it. I figured she maybe got a bug in her mouth so I grabbed a wet cloth to wipe the inside of her mouth, but it wasn’t wiping off and the black remained. I started panicking because at closer look it almost resembled an electrical burn. I knew that it wasn’t that, just didn’t quite know how to describe it since it was like nothing I’ve seen before. I was sitting right beside her when it happened so it all didn’t make sense to me.

“I decided to rush down to the hospital so they could see what was going on because I was completely flabbergasted. While in the emergency waiting room a nurse started talking to me saying how her daughter one day was sitting on her stairs sucking on something and she had black all around her mouth. Well turns out she was sucking on a caterpillar. As soon as the nurse mentioned caterpillar I started thinking, I have soooooo many caterpillars around our deck, is it possible that’s what caused it?

“Multiple nurses came to check out her mouth and they all agreed it looked like a burn, which I knew wasn’t possible.

“Finally the doctor came in and as soon as I mention caterpillar to him, he said that is exactly what it Is and all the hairs are stuck to her tongue and the tentacles are fused to her cheek.

“She has to be sedated and have the pieces of caterpillar tentacle, hairs/spines removed from her mouth.

A later updated said: “She did great in surgery, they removed 98% of what was there. Microscopic pieces they couldn’t get were left behind. She is doing much better, eating, and in high spirit. We’re staying in recovery overnight for monitoring and will be released bright and early!”

Aussie caterpillars can be dangerous too

Some Australian caterpillars are armed with stinging hairs, that can cause severe reactions to humans.

Generally, the brightly coloured caterpillars are poisonous; their colour being a reminder to predators about their toxicity.

Their long hairs are brittle and barbed and are designed to pierce skin and not come out. The hairs are coated with proteins that cause an irritating, allergic response. Any hairy or furry caterpillars are probably best avoided as many different species can cause itchy reactions on contact.

There are even a few caterpillars, such as those of cupmoths, that have brittle spines that can pierce the skin and inject venom. Contact with these caterpillars causes a stinging sensation rather than an itch.

Treatment
To treat irritations as a result of these poisonous caterpillars, remove all affected clothing and apply a piece of adhesive tape to each of the affected areas, then pull the tape off immediately.

This will remove some of the hairs and irritants and reduce the full impact of the irritation. The use of analgesics, creams, antihistamines and lotions with steroids will also assist in relieving the symptoms.

Share your comments below

  • My parents raised me with a healthy fear to leave caterpillars alone, and I raised my children the same way. They knew to only put the food I gave them or their own teething rings in their mouths – nothing else.

    Reply

  • We were cautious and respectful of caterpillars as children and this message has been passed onto our children.

    Reply

  • Oh my Gideon, that scary !! Glad it didn’t kill her, you would think this could swell her throat !!

    Reply

  • Spitfires are scary as anything ! This definitely need to know information!

    Reply

  • Spitfires! My in-law’s yard is full of them in the warmer months. They’re super fast too, go like little rockets! Fortunately our Punks aren’t ones to touch without asking first……

    Reply

  • As a kid, I was always warned to not touch caterpillars…..most bugs actually. If they don’t bite you and make you sick, then chances are they’ll make you sick if you bite them

    Reply

  • When I was about 10 I got a furry caterpillar in my shoe and my foot was swollen for weeks. If you ate one it could kill you.

    Reply

  • Incredible. I would never thought about that. I’m glad to hear the girl is fine now.

    Reply

  • I was always told as a child not to touch caterpillars because they are poisonous. Even the brown ones will make you itch but the brightly coloured ones are the ones to watch.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join